Chemnitz MTEX Workshop 2020
Learning Crystallographic Texture Analysis with MTEXThe MTEX workshop 2020 extends over two weeks to more properly follow the interests of beginners as well as advanced users of MTEX. It is part of the Master Course Introduction into the crystallographic texture analysis and counts for 4 ETCS points.
Week 1: 02.03.2020 - 6.03.2020The first week is mainly devoted to beginners in MTEX and/or texture analysis. The two morning lectures will cover the basic theoretical principles of crystallography, diffraction and texture analysis. During the two afternoon exercises the theoretical concepts will be demonstrated at practical examples within MTEX.
Lectures: direct and reciprocal coordinate system, Miller indices, zonal
axes, symmetry groups, crystal shapes
Exercises: Introduction into Matlab, visualization and computation in crystal geometry,
Lectures: rotation representations, pole figures, inverse pole figures,
orientation distribution function, density estimation
Exercises: visualizations and computations with orientations and ODFs
Lectures: diffraction at regular lattices, Brags law, indexing of
Kikuchi pattern, pattern matching, denoising techniques
Exercises: importing EBSD into MTEX, checking the reference system, basic analysis of EBSD data
Lectures: grain reconstruction, shape parameters, grain statistics,
Lectures: ODF reconstruction from pole figure data, Ghost Effect,
Times: Lecture 1: 8:45-10:00, Lecture 2: 10:30 - 11:45, Exercise 1: 13:00-14:30, Exercise 2: 15:00 - 16:00
Week 2: 9.03.2020 - 13.03.2020The second week continues the lectures of the first week and combines them with talks by invited speakers and participants about practical applications of MTEX. The focus of the lectures will be on recent and upcoming developments in MTEX. The following experts will provide lectures and tutorials about their specific use of MTEX.
(Tampere University of Technology)
(Aalto University, Finland)
|participants talks||R. Hielscher
Parent Phase Reconstruction
|10:30 - 11:45||R. Kilian||P. Lehto
|participants talks||T. Nyyssönen
|13:30 - 15:00||Exercises
Parent Grain Reconstruction
|15:30 - 16:30||Exercises
Talks by the participants about specific problems that have been or could be handled with MTEXThe participants are encouraged to present recent or potential applications of MTEX to their field of research. Talks will be 15 to 30 minutes depending on the number of speakers.
- Location: Chemnitz University of Technology, Department of Mathematics, Reichenhainer Str.39/41, Room 638. (see also City map and local map )
- Accommodation: We kindly ask the participants to take care about their accomodation theirself. A list of nearby hotels can be found here. The Seaside Residenz Hotel is recommended as it is nice, cheap and within working distance.
- Please use our registration form to subscribe (may not work with the Internet Explorer!) or write an email to Ralf.Hielscher@mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de.
- Deadline for registration is 31th of January 2020, Number of participants is restricted to 25
- Registration fee: 300 Euro for one week, 400 Euro for two weeks
- Ralf Hielscher, email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org